Home / Blogs / Appellate Term Second Department – Now Requires you to File a Record

Appellate Term Second Department – Now Requires you to File a Record

by | Apr 9, 2020

Effective as of 1-1-2020, the Appellate Term-Second Department will now require a reproduced full record to be filed at the court and served on all parties.  Prior to this date once the Appellate Term had received the full record from the lower court the Appellant was only required to file an Appellant’s Brief accompanied by a 5531 statement.

As explained in the court’s new rules, if all parties to an action or proceeding governed by the New York City Civil Court Act, Uniform District Court Act or Uniform City Court Act are represented by counsel, the appeal must, unless good cause is shown, be prosecuted on a reproduced full record.  The reproduced full record shall comply with the requirements of CPLR 5526. An original and four copies of the record, duly certified as provided below, shall be filed with proof of service of one copy upon each of the other parties to the appeal. In lieu of certification by the clerk of the court of original instance, the record may be certified by the appellant’s attorney pursuant to CPLR 2105; or by a stipulation in lieu of certification pursuant to CPLR 5532. The reproduced copy containing the signed certification or stipulation shall be marked “Original”.

An additional copy of the brief and reproduced printed record on appeal shall be filed digitally in accordance with instructions provided on the court’s website

For further details of the court’s new rules, please feel free to visit their website.

Recent Posts

The Importance of Presentation in Appellate Cases

Everyone from Abraham Lincoln to Steve Jobs has been credited with coining some version of the adage, “The best way to predict the future is to create it.” No matter who said it first, the idea seems particularly apt for lawyers mounting an appeal. Consider one of the...

Wednesday Wisdom

Within 20 days of service, Counsel for a party served with Notification of Case Number and other pertinent information for is required to confirm registration as an e-filer in NYSCEF. After the 20-day period, an attorney who has not entered the information required...

The Role of Expert Appellate Services in Winning Appeals

Winning an appeal requires a precise blend of meticulous preparation, strategic thinking, and deep familiarity with appellate procedures. Expert appellate services can play a crucial role in this journey, providing invaluable support to attorneys at every step of the...

Wednesday Wisdom

Co-Appellants should file together for the same term. However, if one of the co-appellants is not ready for the term intended, a stipulation may be signed by all parties involved and filed with the court consenting to the next term.

Blog Categories