Home / Blogs / Enlargements of Time at the United Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit

Enlargements of Time at the United Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit

by | Oct 24, 2019

Enlargements of time to file appendices and briefs at the Second Circuit must be requested by motion with a supporting affidavit demonstrating good cause. All motions made to the Second Circuit must be accompanied by a T-1080 Form (Motion Information Statement).
The Court prefers that these motions be made two weeks in advance for civil cases and at least seven days for advance in criminal cases.

Since the filing deadlines are set up to 91 days in advance, the Court will generally grant one 30-day enlargement of time however, it is reluctant to grant a second extension. To receive a second enlargement of time there must exist “extraordinary circumstances” such as a death or illness. The Court requires that a motion to enlarge be made as soon as practicable after said “extraordinary circumstance” arises.

Recent Posts

The Importance of Presentation in Appellate Cases

Everyone from Abraham Lincoln to Steve Jobs has been credited with coining some version of the adage, “The best way to predict the future is to create it.” No matter who said it first, the idea seems particularly apt for lawyers mounting an appeal. Consider one of the...

The Role of Expert Appellate Services in Winning Appeals

Winning an appeal requires a precise blend of meticulous preparation, strategic thinking, and deep familiarity with appellate procedures. Expert appellate services can play a crucial role in this journey, providing invaluable support to attorneys at every step of the...

Wednesday Wisdom

Co-Appellants should file together for the same term. However, if one of the co-appellants is not ready for the term intended, a stipulation may be signed by all parties involved and filed with the court consenting to the next term.

Wednesday Wisdom

Once registered on NYSCEF, all reliefs must be filed via NYSCEF. Motions must be one PDF file, text searchable and bookmarked to be e-filed on NYSCEF or through any court's portal at the appellate level.

Blog Categories