1. Digital submissions shall be transmitted to the Clerk’s Office by uploading them to the Court of Appeals Public Access and Search System (Court-PASS).
2. To upload digital submissions to Court-PASS, New York attorneys must be registered with the New York State Unified Court System’s Attorney Online Services. Filers who are not New York attorneys must use “guest” login credentials, which will be provided by the Clerk’s Office.
3. All digital submissions to the Court of Appeals shall be in text searchable portable document format (PDF).
4. The digital submissions shall be named in accordance with the conventions provided by the Clerk’s Office.
5. Filers must complete the Court’s confidential and sensitive materials attestation form when uploading digital submissions to Court-PASS. The form is intended to ensure compliance with the Court’s sealing and redaction requirements.
6. Digital submissions may not exceed a file size of 100 megabytes. Filers are permitted to upload up to five documents per uploading session.
7. Removing metadata from digital submissions is the filer’s responsibility.
8. To ensure effective redaction, the filer must use redaction methods that permanently remove sensitive content from all metadata and all document layers. Some PDF editing programs as well as specialized redaction tools can help ensure thorough redaction.
9. If a document does not conform to the Court’s requirements, including sealing and redaction requirements, the Clerk’s Office will direct the filer to resubmit the document. Such resubmission is mandatory and must be accomplished within the time set by the Clerk’s Office.
10. A filer who has not been directed to resubmit a document, but wishes to do so, must obtain prior approval from the Clerk’s Office.
11. Uploading digital submissions to Court-PASS does not satisfy the filing due dates set by the Clerk’s Office in a scheduling letter or by operation of the Court’s Rules of Practice. The filer is responsible for meeting applicable due dates by filing the required number of paper documents with the Clerk’s Office. A document is “filed” with the Clerk’s Office on the date of receipt of the paper document. The digital submissions shall be uploaded to Court-PASS no later than the filing due date for paper documents.
12. By uploading documents to Court-PASS, a filer attests that the digital submissions being uploaded are identical to the filed original printed material, except that the digital submissions do not contain an original signature.
For more information visit: https://www.nycourts.gov/ctapps/