Home / Blogs / May I Include Newly Discovered Evidence in My Appeal to AD1 or AD2?

May I Include Newly Discovered Evidence in My Appeal to AD1 or AD2?

by | Feb 8, 2018

In the Appellate Division, First and Second Departments, the short answer is no. A Record on Appeal comprises the documents
that were before the Court of original instance when an Order being appealed was decided. Thus, if the documents that
were determinative of that Order did not include the new evidence the Appellant now seeks to include in the Record, they are
not properly included in the appellate record.

What the attorney should have done, if time permitted when the new evidence was discovered, was to file a Motion to Renew,
returnable in the lower Court. If that motion had been granted, the problem would have been solved, and the appeal
would have become moot. If the Motion had been denied, the attorney would have been able to include the motion papers from
the renewal motion in the Record on Appeal, thus accomplishing the initial goal.

Having failed to make a Motion to Renew in the lower Court, the attorney has only two options. If the other party is willing
to stipulate to the inclusion of the new evidence, it is unlikely that the Court would object to its inclusion in the
Record on Appeal. However, this is no guaranty. The only definitive way to get the new evidence into the Record is to make a
Motion returnable in the Appellate Division to expand the scope of, or enlarge, the Record on Appeal. These Motions are
seldom granted, but under certain circumstances, the Court may indeed grant leave to include the new evidence in question. If
the Motion is granted, simply include the new evidence in your Record. If not, the inclusion of said documents is not permitted.

Recent Posts

The Importance of Presentation in Appellate Cases

Everyone from Abraham Lincoln to Steve Jobs has been credited with coining some version of the adage, “The best way to predict the future is to create it.” No matter who said it first, the idea seems particularly apt for lawyers mounting an appeal. Consider one of the...

The Role of Expert Appellate Services in Winning Appeals

Winning an appeal requires a precise blend of meticulous preparation, strategic thinking, and deep familiarity with appellate procedures. Expert appellate services can play a crucial role in this journey, providing invaluable support to attorneys at every step of the...

Wednesday Wisdom

Co-Appellants should file together for the same term. However, if one of the co-appellants is not ready for the term intended, a stipulation may be signed by all parties involved and filed with the court consenting to the next term.

Wednesday Wisdom

Once registered on NYSCEF, all reliefs must be filed via NYSCEF. Motions must be one PDF file, text searchable and bookmarked to be e-filed on NYSCEF or through any court's portal at the appellate level.

Blog Categories